Monday 17 September 2012

Opinion: YoYoPlanet Polaris


Finally, opinions on the YoYoPlanet Polaris, the video was produced but I kept it unlisted until now, been on other stuff, sorry. Here's the video first, featuring Tan Yao Kun.


And more photos...













Alright, so the Polaris comes in a see through PVC box, that's probably what you gonna get too when you purchase one, it comes with a Center-Trac bearing, and one thing I always fail to mention, is the tightness of the bearing seat, I think this is pretty important. The Polaris has a loose bearing seat, which means you can remove the bearing very easily. Response doesn't look like pads, but look like flowable silicone instead, but I think the production ones will come with black pads, aka blackhole pads.

Specs: 58mm diameter, 42mm width, 71g.

The Polaris, like the Vega prototype, have this groove surface, that I think is meant for grinding purpose,  but I can't say the grind was great, but it could be due to Singapore's humid weather, alright, just checked with Jun, the groove surface is to reduce friction within string play, but with that being said, even though it doesn't give a butter smooth grind, it does still have a powerful spin after attempting a finger grind, and can last you an average combo. It's a very prominently rim weighted yoyo, but at 71g, it didn't actually feel heavy in the palm, in my opinion at least, but, it does feel heavy if you hold it by the rim of one side's half, I don't know if this helps you gauge the feel of this yoyo but yea. A finger grind was attempted on the hub, seems possible.
The Polaris, like mentioned, very rim weighted, is also very stable on the string, provide very long powerful spin, but still being able to move around the string fast and smooth, no snagging, probably due to the CT Bearing, and of course a new string. Horizontal tricks wasn't an issue on it but I specially like doing front style tricks on this for some reason, I can't explain. On a hold-string test, vibe meter's like most yoyos on the market, finger test on the yoyo ain't really an issue. Definitely not an issue on the strings, flops, rejections, but regens are a little difficult for me though. From my experience, wide, wing shaped yoyos with a fairly flat rim edge are usually harder to regen, but it's just what I experience, front regen was alright for me, but side regen was slightly more difficult.

In short, I would say it's like a more solid, heavier and more stable version alternative to the YYF Genesis, but that's just me. Here's are more photos of the comparison shots with the Genesis.







Share your opinion on the Polaris if you've tried one, for the benefit of those who might be getting the Polaris.

**Updates:
Jun sent me two of the Polaris, and we were talking about the pads difference and stuff, and I took it out to check, it turns out the silver one is of the 2nd batch while the black one is from the 1st batch of production. While the black Polaris have a loose bearing seat, the silver one which is the 2nd batch, has a tighter bearing seat, so the bearing stays on the seat, removal is possible with a plier.
And the later batch will also have a tighter bearing seat, and blackhole pads.




No comments:

Post a Comment